September 16, 2022 / More →
It's so good to be back! Come join us at the Small Press Expo in Bethesda, MD this weekend to meet your favorite cartoonists — longtime favorites and newcomers alike. Plus: don't miss a slew of great panels for old and young, including the Top Shelf spotlight on Sunday @ 2:30!
Come to the Top Shelf table (W56-59) to meet:
Read More →
August 12, 2022 / More →
This week our colleagues at IDW Entertainment announced five new TV development deals, including three based on Top Shelf graphic novels:
- Dan Berry and David Gaffney's dryly profound Rivers at HBO Max,
- Filipe Melo & Juan Cavia's achingly beautiful Ballad for Sophie at Universal International Studios,
- and James Albon's sumptuously grim The Delicacy at WBTV.
With Kim Dwinell's beloved middle-grade series Surfside Girls making its live-action debut on Apple TV+ next Friday (August 19), it's a very exciting time to bring these creators' amazing books to new audiences!
July 21, 2022 / More →
We're so excited to see you all at Comic-Con's return and to celebrate our 25th anniversary!
Read on to find our author signing schedule, our 25th-anniversary panel, and the just-released video trailer for Kim Dwinell's Surfside Girls TV show!
Read More →
May 18, 2022 / More →
Comic-Con International has announced the nominees for the 2022 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, and congratulations are in order for the creators of three outstanding graphic novels that showcase the breadth and richness of Top Shelf's 2021 lineup:
- The transatlantic team of Filipe Melo and Juan Cavia have received a record-breaking four Eisner Award nominations for their heart-wrenching tale of passions and pianos, Ballad for Sophie, in the categories of Best Graphic Album: New, Best U.S. Edition of International Material, Best Writer, and Best Painter/Multimedia Artist!
- The Science of Surfing: A Surfside Girls Guide to the Ocean, the newest adventure in Kim Dwinell's beloved Surfside Girls series, follows Sam and Jade as they discover the joys of ocean science and is nominated in the category of Best Publication for Kids (ages 9-12). Don't miss the chance to join the Surfside Girls before their live-action TV debut on Apple TV+, just announced for August 19th!
- Finally, French cartoonist Élodie Durand's critically acclaimed Parenthesis, which depicts with stunning power the subjective experience of living through a brain tumor, is nominated in the category Best Graphic Memoir.
Congratulations to these outstanding creators and all the nominees — we look forward to celebrating with you at San Diego Comic-Con in July!
April 15, 2022 / More →
Congratulations to Élodie Durand, whose heartfelt and harrowing graphic memoir Parenthesis has just been shortlisted for the inaugural Graphic Medicine Award from the Graphic Medicine International Collective.
This landmark story, exploring the subjective experience of living through a brain tumor, has already received many honors around the world, including the Revelation Prize, Liberation Readers’ Prize, and Poland Prize from the Angoulême International Comics Festival and inclusion in such lists as the American Library Association's Best Graphic Novels for Adults, FNAC’s Top 10 Graphic Novels About Illness, and JAMA's Top 2 Best Graphic Novels of 2021. Discover why the Guardian called it "extraordinary" and Publishers Weekly dubbed it "unforgettable" — and why Top Shelf is eager to bring you the next graphic novel from Élodie Durand next year!